<VV> Rear seat bolts

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 04:14:04 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/3/2006 6:56:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
scandish at sbcglobal.net writes:

I'm  installing the new interior in my '65 & do not have a Fisher body
manual.  Neither the GM assembly manual or the Chevy Corvair shop manual for the '65
 shows seat attachment diagrams. Are the 6 1/4x20x1" bolts w/ captured
washers  that held the old seat screwed directly into the pan,into bosses welded to
the  pan or are there nuts on the other side? Mine will screw in but pop
out.TIA.

Scott

Scott - There is some confusion here because the Subject of your E-mail  says
rear seat bolts, but the body of the message doesn't mention front or rear.
That is why you may get conflicting answers. I recall that the bolts that hold
 the rear seat back in place, at least the lower portion of the side hinges,
are  not regularly machine threaded bolts. They are self threading bolts with
captured washers. I think that is why your 1/4 x 20 screws are popping out.
The  correct fastener is a rather large self-threading screw. If yours came
with  1/4-20 bolts, they may have been used by a previous owner. I believe the
screws  thread into the floor pan which is extra thick at that point - probably
a couple  of welded together layers. Remember the 500 models did not use the
fold-down  seat, they used a fixed seat. - Seth Emerson