<VV> Help with rust repair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 20:44:16 EDT 2006

You can all laugh now at a Californian asking for rust help. I am beginning
the body work to bring the Corvair/Stinger up to snuff body wise. This is a
race  car, not any kind of show car. But it has a typical case of California
windshield drain rust. It also has a similar afliction in the rear  window area
on one side. I have pulled both windows and worked a bit on the  rusted areas.
I cleaned off the sealant around both windows. Amazingly, all of  the clip
mounting studs, except one, were in great shape and reusable. It  will need new
clips, but the studs were in great shape. I have removed   most of the loose
rust scale. There are several areas where material will  have  be added to
return the "systems" to normal. (holes in the body) Where  there are holes in the
metal, should I ground out the bad stuff and weld new  sheetmetal in? I could
coat the remaining rusty areas with POR-15 before  painting. What kind of
welding should I use for the holes in the sheet metal. Is  MIG applicable or can I
TIG in the replacements. I can use an Acetelyn torch to  de-oxidize the area,
if that is a good plan. And suggestions on how to  proceed?

- Seth Emerson