<VV> Squeaking Wheel

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jun 5 12:05:46 EDT 2006

I'm 99% convinced it's the wheel bearing now and because it's making other horrible sounds besides just the squeaking, it's coming out dagnabbit.  I'm currently debating buying a rebuilt or replacing the bearings myself (with help from a knowledgeable club member or 2).  Not so much to save money as to experience the experience, if you know what I mean.

How did you grease your bearings?  They're not easy to get to.

mike

>----------------------
<snip>
Smitty has a point.    The '65 Corsa ragtop here began exhibiting an
intermittent squeak from the rear.   I checked U-joints etc.   I
checked suspension.  I checked the rear bearings by running the car
in gear, wheels elevated.   Diddly.   Then I had somebody ride
alongside the car in another vehicle hanging out the window and
listening; intermittent squeak returned and he said it sounded like a
wheel bearing issue.

I accosted the rear wheel bearings with grease.    The intermittent
squeak disappeared, never came back, that was over a decade ago.

tony..