<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 17, Issue 28

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Jun 6 10:56:59 EDT 2006

Subject: dead
  -------------------------snip---------------
 Went out last week to back it out and
nothing-absolutely nothing. No lights, no dash lights, no starter,nothing
electrical.
  Smitty says finding this is pretty basic electrical trouble shooting.  Using a meter or test light check from the positive post of the battery to the frame for power. (not the clamp. The post).  Also check to the engine block.  Check from the ground post to the infamous connector. (both sides without unplugging it).  I know this is repetative to what you have done.  If the connector checks good then move on up under the dash and check for power at the red connector on the start switch.  Next get under and check from ground to the terminal on the starter solenoid. (the terminal, not the solenoid).  I will bet that by now you have found the problem.  I know of one extreme case where the owner claimed his rebuilt starter would not ground due to the heavy coat of paint applied so make no assumptions.