<VV> carbs

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Jun 6 17:20:18 EDT 2006

To properly desmog a smogger engine, you should replace both exhaust
manifolds, all carbs, and the distributor with pre-smog parts.
Unfortunately, the non-140 smog engines also have "pop-up" or "domed"
(known by both descriptions) pistons and hogged out, no-squish-area
heads, which are notorious for needing almost aircraft-octane gas in
order to keep from rattling like a coffee can full of bolts. So to
actually do a COMPLETE job, you'd need to replace the heads AND pistons
as well. And while you're at it, do the world a favor and SCRAP the smog
heads and pistons.

BTW, it's been known that if you leave the smog exhaust manifolds on the
car, rust can collect in the air tubes and as the engine is running, the
rust flakes will sand-blast the valves to death. DO NOT RUN THE CAR WITH
SMOG MANIFOLDS AND NO AIR BEING PUMPED THRU THEM!

-Mark