<VV> carbs

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 11:09:53 EDT 2006

Hi Pete!

"I have a 68 ;500 series;110hp; pg. I removed the smog pump and closed the
exhaust manifold ends with a metal plate and gasket compound,no leaks.I then
closed in the plumping holes with metal plate and gasket compound. I thought
that was it. Then I read that the carbs are different for smog equipped
engines. Is this a problem? Is there something else that must be done,or can
I successfully run the car like this? Must I change the carbs?
    "Rookie" Pete"

The 'smog' style carbs are just fine to use- they are very similar to the
carbs used on other models, with the exception of lacking a 'power
enrichment' system, which adds about 3 jet sizes in mixture strength at
higher speeds. The factory put larger main jets in them in compensation. If
you one day rejet, using jets about 2 sizes larger than the ones that work
best in 1965-'66 cars in your area will maintain the original slightly
richer calibration, probably a #54 jet in most low altitude places should be
about right with smog carbs. The smog cars also have a very fancy idle
circuit thats especially nice on automatic trans cars and 140's, theres an
extra adjustement built in to limit the richness of idle mixtures.

Keep a close eye on your manifolds to ensure they do not develop leaks- the
slightest exhaust leak from where you have capped them off will permit
carbon monoxide to enter the car heater, it would be desireable to change to
a non AIR type manifold when you have the opportunity some time, you might
make a point of acquiring the older non-smog manifolds ahead of any future
exhaust system repairs, and get them cleaned up with new studs ready to go
for any future occasion when you're working on the exhaust system.

You can also switch to 1965-'67 style non-smog aircleaner and PCV system
items if you'd like to remove the last vestiges of the AIR parts sometime.
These are very common and inexpensive parts, someone in your Corvair club
almost certainly will have all the peices you need and sell them cheap or
more likely, give them away to you;-)

Brent Covey
Vancouver BC