<VV> RE: A.I.R. Carbs

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 6 16:52:42 EDT 2006

<<Then I read that the carbs are different for smog equipped
engines. Is this a problem? Is there something else that must be done>>

Smog carbs have an extra air bleed hole in the top front of the bowl. Some
have a needle in the hole and others some sort of rivet. While they appear
to be adjustable, most are not, and I have not run across any sort of a
"factory setting" for them. (A brass "needle" is screwed into a helicoil
type arrangement and it rarely wants to move). While they are purported to
have had larger than stock main jets, all the ones I have dealt with were
in the 48-51 range, maybe due to owner change outs. Surprisingly, a few of
them DO have power enrichment circuits, but I have only come across about a
dozen pairs over the past decade, so I guess they are about as rare as
original smog engines. IMHO, the best thing to do if running them on a
de-smogged engine is to simply plug the extra circuit with a bit of good
silicone. The carbs will still have the extra idle air bleed added in 1966,
and will work and mix fine with a .051-2 main jets. The best solution,
however, is to swap the bowls with some from a 1965 140HP engine.
The Carbmeister (two weeks and counting to lose the crutches).