<VV> PLASTIC TUBING FOR OIL GAUGE

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 13:32:19 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/7/2006 8:43:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dreamwoodck at yahoo.com writes:

Hey  gang,
I'll have to disagree with Mark on most points but agree with  him on one,
from my experience.
The long tubing will delay the  gauge's response, but in the time it takes
that to happen, the chances of your  looking at the gauge the instant something
breaks are pretty remote. That goes  for any gauge, when you think about it.
Do we see the gauge drop off or hear  the BANG! first? The gauge is handy to
tell you HOW MUCH perssure you have,  but keeping the idiot light is the better
choice if you want to know, right  now, IF you have oil pressure.

I have run a number of different set-ups over the years. My current race
Corvair has a pair of systems for oil pressure notification. On the engine, I
installed a "special" pressure switch from one of the racing houses. It turns on
 when oil pressure drops below about 15 PSI. That measures the pressure as it
 returns into the engine from the front mounted oil cooler after being pumped
to  the front of the car and back. It is the "pressure that counts". The Oil
pressure warning light is a 3" Trailer Brake light mounted in the right  side
of the 140 Dashboard, (replacing the Tachometer?). If it comes on you WILL
know it. In the front of the car, after the oil cooler, I split off a  separate
oil tube. I used a heavy duty 1/4" flex tubing that is intended for
hydraulic use. It feeds a big 2 5/8" Autometer gauge under the  dash.(Although it
really should be IN the dash) This type of tubing  has a special slide-in metal
insert that prevents collapse when the compression  ferrules are tightened down.
Absolutely no leaks. And the 1/4" tubing allows  quick transition of pressure
waves, I believe. I do remember long 1/8" tubing  from the rear on some
Corvairs in my past. You could start the engine, watch the  idiot light go out and,
after 30 seconds or so, the gauge reading would start to  move upward. When
turning off the engine, you could watch the pressure remain at  20 psi well
after the engine had stopped, then drop slowly to zero. That was not  a help to a
belief in the warning ability of that system. If you want more info  drop me
a note - Seth.