<VV> Follow Up On Oil Pressure Gauge / voltmeter

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 21:59:55 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/7/2006 6:36:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time, AeroNed at aol.com
writes:

> TimogensTurbo at aol.com wrote:
> The BEST  /  most usefull gauge you can put in a vehicle is a  VOLTMETER!
> Especially for long trips!
> ------
>
> OK Matt, I have to hear this one...Why is a voltmeter the most important
> gauge for a long trip?
> I would have thought that a gas gauge would be most valuable on long
> trips...
> Ned

Think about it.....

Gas..you can calculate and error on the safe side.

Oil pressure......our lifters will rattle long before total loss of
pressure.....except extreme cases...

Temp.....the engines will always PING  long before damage occurs...

Speedometer......just keep up with traffic and your fine......also, always
PASS deer quickly [ too slow?]

Odometer........use "mileposts"  ggg

Volts......tells you the conditon of most everything....
IE:
total system voltage.....as a reference...VDC  going down slowly......listen
for ping [ broken - slipping belt]

VDC  Spikes.......listen for ping.....belt?  just too hot.. [ VReg.  is temp
sensitive!]

When starting...tells condition of starter [ current draws down VDC]

Before starting.....tells if you have a chance of getting it started!

During crank....tells if you have a weak cell in the battery or low charge /
surface charge only/ [ vdc below 10 vdc]

Listening to killer Stereo.....tells you before the battery is completely
drained!   GGG

When "Jump starting" another car......like a direct short!!

Geez..that was alot of stuff to think up!!! LOL

Matt Nall
stocker, mod, v8, turbo, boat, Sandcar
ALLVAIR!
Timogen was a softy!