<VV> Oil Pressure Gauge / voltmeter--comedy

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 13:28:14 EDT 2006

Hey Matt, Ned and all,

  As much as I think this thread has run its course, I have to jump in with another worthless opinion.  Matt, I agree with a lot, but not all, of what you say and totally disagree with your logic, and here's why:

1)   Gas..you can calculate and error on the safe side.

  --Got gas? Go drive. Your wife will want to stop and pee long before you need gas.

2) Oil pressure......our lifters will rattle long before total loss of pressure.....except extreme cases...

  --Every Corvair owner should know at about what rate their car is leaking oil. Also, if it doesn't rattle to pieces and seize, you are good to go (watch for the idiot light. They call it that for a reason).

3) Temp.....the engines will always PING long before damage occurs...

  --Agree, but he oily smoky hot air through the heater ducts in summer is a better indication of a problem.

4) Speedometer......just keep up with traffic and your fine......also, always
PASS deer quickly [ too slow?]

  --Agree. Fewer tickets too, and the slower speed improves your aim.

5) Odometer........use "mileposts" ggg

  --Odometers are VERY important. Otherwise, how can you tell how long it takes to go through a quart of oil? Also, it helps when you brag to others about how old your car is. A smart driver always has a little kid in the back seat with a map, telling you you only have two more inches to go, or an older one going "ARE WE THERE YET?" every two munutes. So the gauge is alternately important and irrelevant.

6) Volts......tells you the conditon of most everything....
total system voltage.....as a reference...VDC going down slowly......listen
for ping [ broken - slipping belt]
VDC Spikes.......listen for ping.....belt? just too hot.. [ VReg. is temp
sensitive!]
When starting...tells condition of starter [ current draws down VDC]
Before starting.....tells if you have a chance of getting it started!
During crank....tells if you have a weak cell in the battery or low charge /
surface charge only/ [ vdc below 10 vdc]
Listening to killer Stereo.....tells you before the battery is completely
drained! GGG
When "Jump starting" another car......like a direct short!!

  --Totally wrong. Car starts, drive. Anything sort of that won't stop you. Won't charge? See step one. Starter's bad? See step one. Battery's going south? See step one. Too hot? That ain't the electrical system's fault anyways. Direct short? Watch for the big blue flash welding the clamp to the car.

  Chuck Kubin
  LIFCCXGP