Gauge Lover Replies Re: <VV> Oil Pressure Gauge

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 16:43:28 EDT 2006

Smitty,
    I appreciate that you didn't mention me by  name.<GGGG>
Actually we are perhaps much more in agreement than you think.  I love
having gauges on STREET cars.  On a number of instances, having  aftermarket gauges
have enabled me to spot problems as they BEGAN to develop and  thereby give
me a chance to safely get off the highway and fix the problem  BEFORE it shut
me down.  One time the voltmeter showed my charging rate was  dropping and I
got off the interstate and into a safe parking spot where I found  that the
fanbelt was STARTING to slip.  Since this was at  night, loss of headlights would
have been very dangerous.  Other  times, in Corvairs, having a Stewart Warner
CHT gauge enabled us to drive home  on only 3 cylinders without wrecking the
engine.  Another time, using  that same CHT gauge, we got the Corvair home
after the rubber in the  harmonic balancer decided to malfunction thereby
eliminating the fan for  cooling.  It took 5 cooling stops for a 7 mile drive, but we
did make it  home without damaging the engine.  Of course the monster battery,
synthetic  oil and Viton O-rings helped too.(:-)
    But for RACING cars, the situation is  completely different.  I agree
with you that having LARGE colored warning  lights makes a lot more sense when
your attention is completely focused on  getting around a course FAST and you
can't afford to study gauge readings.
    Regards and hope to see you at Buffalo,
    Frank "still learning from his elders"  Burkhard

In a message dated 6/7/2006 3:17:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,