<VV> RE: 1966 wire colors

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 10:09:30 EDT 2006

Bob-
I have only seen references to this standardization.
At some point GM started publishing their wiring diagrams with a list of
numbers preceeding the actual diagram. The earliest one I have right now is
an '87 Celebrity manual. I looked at a '75 Vega/Monza and they show the
numbers in the diagrams, at the connectors, but don't have the separate list
of the numbers with color references.

If one reads the later lists they correspond to the '66 Corvair wires up to
about #60. (The Celebrity diagram references up to wire #899!)

Some examples:
#2 Red Battery, Unfused Feed
#3 Pink Ign switch "on and Crank" controlled, unfused feed
#6 Purple Starter Solenoid Feed
#13 Purple Front parking lamps
#18 Yellow Stop and Directional lamp- rear left hand

If you had the list from a manual, like the mentioned '87 Celebrity, you
could find a wire in the harness and refer to the list to find out what it
was for. You could then cross reference that info with the actual wiring
diagram to see where the wire is supposed to go.

As an example: Once after a business meeting my Celebrity would not start
due to a malfuntioning neutral safety switch. Since I "knew" that the
starter solenoid feed wire was a large purple wire I looked for that wire in
the engine harness. I turned on the ign switch, bared the wire and used my
jumper cable to jump it to the battery. The car started right up. My fellow
employee who witnessed this was amazed! I looked like I had preformed a
magic trick.

You can look thru some cheap GM manuals at flea markets and find one that
has the list. I think I paid about $4 for some of my manuals. Since you are
only interested in the wiring list you can select from the manuals that
don't sell well.
I hope this info helps.
                                 Ed