<VV> did the maaco thing

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 18:15:18 EDT 2006

I too did the Maaco thing with my '91 S-10, but not on a whim.  I visited three shops plus the competition, watched for specials and inspected their work. I started by looking at who did the best job of applying a clean, even finish and who was best at keeping things clean that didn't get paint. I rejected any shop that wouldn't let me in to see work in progress, wouldn't answer detailed questions, or didn't appear to be professionally maintained.
   I picked the one who seemed, from what was actually coming out of the shop, to be doing the best job on a consistent basis. I also paid particular attention to cars of a similar age and color to get an overall impression.
  Then I discussed the work in precise detail, learning that their sanding, prep and prime is limited and NOT intended to take out all the flaws. They will do extra prep, as you pay for it. My advice, do most of the prep yourself and fix ANYTHIING you think they might not fix. Then take off all the trim bits and reinstall them yourself. Good examples are the fuzzies and emblems. Why risk even a slightly uneven mask job when you cnan reinstall a perfectly clean part?
  Maaco also guarantees their work, so if you find a flaw that THEY caused, they will fix it right away.
  I painted at a time when they had  some good package deals and negotiated in most of the costs for the jams and inside the bed. The truck looked fantastic, for about half of what I thought I'd spend and about a fifth of what it would have been at a body shop.

  Chuck Kubin

J R Read_HML <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Put an order with Lon and get the little hoe wheels car thrown in!

Later, JR