<VV> Carlisle Events (No corvair)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jun 15 21:31:21 EDT 2006

At 02:43 hours 06/15/2006, corvairs wrote:
>All part of the changing landscape in this hobby. Swap meets in
>general are becoming less important all the time. Not just with car
>shows, but also antiques and collectibles (Linda's hobby-business)
>and other things. Attendance at many of these events is still good,
>but the selling by the vendors is not, and hasn't been for some
>time.  The events have greatly become social gatherings (good) with
>a chance to "look at", but not buy, all sorts of neat things.
>(Not  good) More like a visit to the local museum than a swap meet.   Lon

It's likely no surprise to those who know me that the vendors are the
principal reason I attend most shows.    After that, it's looking at
the cars and old friends.   Other activities like scheduled events
and such are pretty much secondary to me.

I'm already noticing that the vendors are decreasing in numbers...
some because they're getting long of tooth and they're not being
followed by younger blood, and others simply don't have as much stock
to sell anymore because most NOS and good used has already been
absorbed by the hobby and the restoration gang doesn't have the
resources of readily available projects to launch into like they did
just ten years ago.

There's fewer cars left to restore.   Most of the remaining 'Vairs
still in circulation aren't being driven much anymore which means
that the demand for parts is dropping.

However... I'm still having at it, just because I can.

tony..