Fwd: <VV> '69 Shenanigans!

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 09:02:15 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/16/2006 7:34:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LonzoVair at aol.comwrites:

> when all of a sudden I start losing  power...
> then it's almost like I'm trailering something from all the jerking  it's
> doing... you know, push-pull-push stuff... and the occasional  backfire... I
> pulled
> to the shoulder of the freeway and it's just idling as  sweet as you
> please... I rev the engine, nothing unusual... I get back in and it  refuses
> to go
> faster than 50 MPH,

Lon,  Starting with the carb inlet filters start checking for contamination,
working back to the tank.  Sounds like fuel starvation.  If you find really
fine brown residue in the filters and in the carb bowls you've got a rusty gas
tank.  The tank pickup sock will become so clogged that it will collapse due to
the pump suction.  You can get enough gas for sedate driving, but not enough
for high speed or quick acceleration.

For your sake I hope it is just gunk.  I'm assuming you've already got an
inline filter above the left rear wheel.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 'BRier
'65 Corsa