Fwd: <VV> Gas tank sending unit seal

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 09:16:10 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/15/2006 9:30:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dmac632000 at yahoo.com writes:

> Hey there!
> I'm having a bear of a time getting the sending unit
> back in without gas leaking past the seal.

Sounds like to same effort I had to put into my first tank.  Assuming the
groove in the tank, the gasket and ring clamp are completely clean (no rust, no
old gasket material etc.) I would just used a little soap or silicone.  DON'T
use grease or oil as the gasket will swell.  I've used both old and new gaskets
(though I haven't bought a new one in ten years).  To clean the gasket prior
to assembly use a pumice hand cleaner to get down to clean, deep black rubber.
 Then soap it a little and SLOWLY tap the ring clamp until it seats against
the stops.

For what it's worth, my daughter's (ex)boyfriend had a leaking seal in his
F**d Escort that was caused by the last repairman adding silicone.  After it was
cleaned up as above, it all went back together again with no leaks.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 'Brier
'65 Corsa