<VV> Gas tank sending unit seal

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 11:38:46 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/15/2006 6:30:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dmac632000 at yahoo.com writes:

Hey  there!
I'm having a bear of a time getting the sending unit
back in  without gas leaking past the seal. I've gone
through five of the o-ring  seals (two of which were
just received from Clark's), three of the metal  ring
nuts (two of which I tried increasing the angle on to
push against  the tangs more so as to exert more
pressure on the seal). Those  modifications I tried
just now. Before that I oiled and greased the  seal
before I put it together, then let it sit for two days
dry thinking  it might "seat" properly. I made sure the
rubber tab was positioned in the  groove of the sending
unit.

Any advice/tips/words of encouragement  from the gas
tank gurus out there?

Thanks!
A now light-headed  Dave McMillan

I beat my head against the wall just as much as you. Last summer I was
installing "all new parts".  I finally traced it to a bad seal - But you  have
tried several. I have never found the replacement "Nuts" to be as well made  as
the originals. I hate to admit it, but eventually I removed the tank and
oriented it so I got a good angle on the hole and installed everything  vertically,
including the original nut. (PS the O-ring is still available at the  dealer.)
My old back was whining about doing this at the odd angle under  the car.
Have you checked out the mating surfaces on both the sender and the  tank to make
sure no burrs or scratches are causing the leak? - Seth  Emerson