<VV> Follow-up: 1963 Turbo has boost OR idles:

Robert Hawley iamrgh at charter.net
Sat Jun 17 20:11:17 EDT 2006

Howdy all,  Regarding my 1963 Spyder that would either boost or idle but not both:  Ken Hand has found the problem and it was the carburetor as he suspected.  He has installed a rebuilt LM YH on the car and it now performs flawlessly - when cold it starts fine, goes onto fast idle, can be driven right away (used to have to warm up 5-10 minutes before drive-away or it stalled) and it exhibits 7+ # of boost (per the gauge).  Ken (and I) are very happy as this was a long process for him to figure out that my original carb is really messed up  in a way that was not obvious.

 At this time there is no clue as to what is wrong with the original carb, but VV comes to the rescue (again). I communicated with Grant Young who originally rebuilt the carb and he wants to tear into it and see what the  cause was.  He also said that if it is repairable, he will do so with no charge -  VV's are a great  Corvair family.  Hopefully this will be another learning experience about that "difficult" YH. Thanks to all those who helped  solve the problem: I will report back when the problem with my original carb is found.  Bob Hawley - 1963 Spyder conv