<VV> New Vair Guy on the block

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jun 19 18:23:04 EDT 2006

At 11:30 hours 06/19/2006, Harris, Charles P LTC NAS Whiting Field, wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I spent my Fathers Day attempting to rmove the metal brake line off
>the left rear "T" brake joint in an attempt to replace all the old
>stuff.  My Dad gave me his 66 Corsa convertible about 4 months ago.
>He did not drive the car for about 5 years, thus I am replacing most
>all the rubber parts and every part with the braking
>system.  Needless to say Clarks Corvair and I have gotten to know
>each other very well. I am going to replace the suspension parts as
>well I guess. The rubber grommets and all are very cracked and need replacing.
>
>Any thoughts on how to get a brake line off without stripping the
>threads, I have tried WD40, everything I kow.

If all else fails, a careful application of heat will sometimes
help.    Heat the block, not the line fitting.    Rock the fitting
with a line wrench and see if it will loosen.    It helps to let some
high octane penetrant soak overnite before resorting to the map gas torch.

Go easy with the heat.   It's brass, after all.

Also...      Do not set the car on fire.    ;)

As a last resort... that block is available from the vendors.   You
could just rip it all out and redo everything from MC to WC, actually
not such a bad idea on old iron these days.

tony..