<VV> Suspension Parts

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 14:32:14 EDT 2006

Hey Chaz,

  The easiest way to line up the suspension parts is to scribe scratch marks across ONE side of the heads of the eccentric bolts and onto the fixed parts. That will give you a reference to where they were before you took them off the car and where they were set the last time.  That will be plenty good enough until you can get a professional alignment.
  For an unprofessional alignment, check the archives for instructions on how to align things yourself. Or should that be "amateur?"
  You can get a lot of the suspension bits from FLAPS but if you are worried about getting the right stuff from one place, any of the Corvair vendors will have just exactly what you need.
  Avoid the concrete block, junk socket and BFH method of changing ball joints. A proper ball joint press and spring compressor is well worth the effort of borrowing or renting.
  Also worth doing is checking your springs for sag, greasing your rear hub bearings and changing the 1/2-axle U joints, as long as you are in there already.
  Cool name, by the way.

  Chuck Kubin

"Harris, Charles P LTC NAS Whiting Field, N9" <charles.p.harris1 at navy.mil> wrote:
  All,

Thanks for the advice of the brake line. During my time under the car removing all the brake stuff, I have decided to replace all the suspension as well. The rubber joints are all significantly cracked and some of the rubber is actually missing. Is Clarks Corvair the best place to get the replacement parts?

And, how difficult is it going to be to reset the camber on the suspension pieces? I saw the directions in a manual I got from Clarks, reads easy, but something tells me if I don't get it right on reassembly, I will pay for it later.

Also, Clarks recommends using POR 15 for undercoating, while I have the suspension and brake parts removed I want to treat the undercoating for each wheel/fender well and far under the car as I can get. I know it is a lot of cleaning, but I would rather spend the time now so I can enjoy later.

I can't say thanks enough for the help and advice from everyone.

R/

Pat

LTC Charles P. Harris
Security Officer, NASWF