<VV> Teardown III

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 20 10:54:36 EDT 2006

Uhh . .  hate to burst your bubble on this one, but this isn't the
crank that was in the engine when it failed.  That was the original
crank from WR and was ground to .030 by a machine shop before
installation.  It is now scrap.    The crank in question, the one to be
installed, is from a 140, standard clearance and hasn't been turned
over in the engine.  I've installed it and have done an oil pressure
check, but the most revolutions it has seen is from the installation of
the rods and the adjusting (cold) of the valves.  I've noticed a
FEW,TINY scratches in the journals and what looks like pitting in one
of the journals (negligible to a pass of a finger nail).  I suppose I
need to have this checked out by a machine shop (will they sell me on
an unnecessary turning? probably - and the subsequent purchasing of new
bearing$ - soon to have a 10 grand [expenses], 3 grand car [value]) or
to have my club benefactor look at it before rebuild IV.  Probably the
latter, as I trust his judgment over a shop's.

The engine is the only thing left to do before getting some road time.

Hopefully ready to roll by the 50th anniversary.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110

checkDate: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:21:35 EDT