<VV> Opinions on compression

Guus de Haan corvair at corvair.nl
Tue Jun 20 14:39:26 EDT 2006

Last Sunday we wanted to take the Corsa to a classic car event. With
the fuel problem solved I was kind of hoping on some driving fun. We
took the highway because that is the quickest route. Even at 60 MPH
it is running over 400F. I decided to take the secondary roads back
home but it began to run worse and worse. I was convinced it was
running on 4 cylinders or less. Spitting and popping and running very
rough. In the evening I installed a pair of other (used) spark plugs
but it ran just as bad. The old spark plugs look pretty good, even
grey color, not carbonned up or or anything like that.

This engine had a turbo rebuilt because a chip of the impeller was
missing and it was carboned up. I never found the piece and was kind
of expecting it to be inside a cylinder somewhere ruining some
valves.  I was planning to remove the heads coming Saturday but
decided to do a compression test first. I expected to measure low
compression on one or more cylinders. The engine has not been driven
much since its rebuild but I was surprised the values weren't to bad
at all.

1 - 12
2 - 9,5
3 - 11
4 - 10+
5 - 11+
6 - 10+

What's your opinion on these figures?
Cylinder 2 is lower but I would not expect the engine to run that bad
because of this.

The Air/Fuel ratio according to the SafeGuard is pretty good when
driving.

My guesses:
The valves are set to tight and stay open when the engine really
heats up.
The distributor (one of the few pieces not rebuilt) is failing somehow.

Sorry for the long post but I really appreciate any advice (and of
course moral support ;-)

Guus
The Netherlands
'65 Corsa Turbo-Charged Cvt