<VV> Re: JUDSON ISSUES

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Wed Jun 21 18:12:16 EDT 2006

I bought my sedan with unknown miles (odo read 33k and we believe it
has not rolled over) after sitting in a vacant lot for 6 years.   I
did very little to get it running and the engine has never been
opened.  I put the Judson AND Offy valve cover breathers (lucky me I
guess, but I saw a set for sale and heard they were good for blower
cars).  I ran it 15k miles without any trouble except the bad carb
behavior.  Carb heat is unlikely a problem because I can fry an egg
on the carb before turning it on (it is 105 here today).  I had the
carb rebuilt and it made no discernable change.  I used a spare carb
I had, same result.  With the new engine and the rebuilt carb, it is
still the same!  I bet that carb just does not have the driveability
my stock Spyder has which is not atypical for older after market stuff.

But nobody answered me regarding the use of the Holley 390!!!  Any hints?

At 06:02 PM 6/15/2006, you wrote:
>using my bad memory again , i had a judson on a NEW 64 coupe for a short
>time.  its main issues were no carb heat and it overpowered the vent
>system so it
>would blow oil out of the crancase.  this was on a new car only a few weeks
>old so wear was not an issue yet.  the carb like 4 barrel conversions of that
>era had frost down the throats  due to lack of heat there.    i gave
>up on it.
>  i would bet thats at least part of the trouble.  just like most add on
>manifolds or headers on v8 hot rods..great looking but hard to get
>the bugs out. a
>lot more to it than meets the eye..
>regards, tim colson

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html