<VV> Cleaning the engine (Teardown III)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 23 16:11:58 EDT 2006

	Well, I spent the morning washing the front housing (even removed the
bypass valve), alternator adaptor and 90 degree oil filter adaptor
assembly (taken apart), the Otto deep oil pan and was about to start on
the top cover.  I washed the parts in HOT soapy (Dawn) water and
brushed them throughly with a parts brush.  I then sprayed them with
Purple Power grease remover and brushed them again.  Then I washed and
brushed them again before drying with shop towels (in every nook,
crevice, and tube) and then put them individually in front of a 1600
watt hair dryer for at least 30 minutes each.  I then coated the iron
pieces with a coat of transmission fluid.
	When I went back down to the garage to begin the top housing, I
decided to check the front housing.  I used a magnifying glass to
inspect it.  Everything looked clean.  I then took my index finger and
rubbed in on the surface of a deep place in the front cover.  I found a
fleck of what appeared to be bearing debris.  I did it again and found
two more tiny pieces.  This method is not going to satisfy me.  I've
already "cleaned" the block halves in this manner, and now, I do not
trust them to be clean.
	I went back to Richard Finch's book because I remembered him talking
about cleaning parts before starting to reassemble.  On p.61 of the 8th
edition, he states to; "Cold-tank clean and glass-bead clean the
aluminum parts".   I refuse to glass-bead clean any engine parts as
I've a lot of horror stories of those who have.  But what is
"cold-tank" cleaning and is this a viable option?

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (Teardown III after an oil
pressure check determines that there is still debris from the first
meltdown present in the engine)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Still in group red, light at the end of the tunnel that seemingly
keeps backing away as I attempt to get closer)   : I