Possible Answer Re: <VV> Alternator question

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 16:12:03 EDT 2006

Ned,
    15 volts is a bit high for the battery to take all  the time.  But, you
say that the voltmeter shows 13.5 when the car is not  running.  If this is the
indicated level hours after the car is shut off,  then your VOLTMETER is
reading HIGH, since the normal battery reading  should be 12.7 volts.  That would
indicate that your voltmeter is probably  reading 13.5 - 12.7 = 0.8 volts
high.  So the 15 volts shown when running  the car is actually 15 - 0.8 = 14.2
volts.  This is the perfect normal  running voltage to keep the battery fully
charged, but not OVERcharged (although  it will read higher just after starting
until everything is warmed up).  So  your charging system is likely to be
operating just fine.  But to be sure,  compare the indicated voltage on your
voltmeter with that of a more  accurate digital voltmeter (DVM or a DMM).  You can
hook up the DVM to plug  into the cigarette lighter so you can see both gauges
while the car is being  driven.
    When I did that on my Minivan, I found that the  dashboard voltmeter that
came from GM read almost a full volt LOWER than  reality.  I just take that
difference into account when I'm driving the  Trans Sport.
    Most gauges can have their calibration checked  without using $$$
laboratory equipment.
    Frank "likes gauges" Burkhard

In a message dated 6/21/2006 12:26:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,