Fwd: <VV> Corsa update II

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sun Jun 25 12:10:05 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/25/2006 4:01:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
corvair at corvair.nl writes:

> My engine is missing the rear sheet metal that runs along the
> harmonic balancer

Gus.  I would say this is a BIG part of the problem--especially at speed.
You want all of the cooling air to be coming in from the louvers behind the rear
window.  Sucking in the VERY hot air at the rear of the engine is a big deal
at speed and under load.  You have both the Kamm effect making the hot air
follow the rear of the car (remember how our oil leaks coat the rear cove?) and
the low pressure in the engine compartment created by the cooling fan that
sucks air in the easiest way.  By removing the lower shrouds you've reduced the
restriction allowing more air to flow at a given horsepower, but you are still
sucking in and recycling that very hot air that has already cooled the engine.
The GM engineers knew what they were doing.  With the engine compartment
fully sealed you will be able to put the lower shrouds back on.  If you need these
pieces most of us have them.  Is the customs duty less if the parts are
covered in three decades of oil and grit....................?  Chuck Hartzel is
right as usual.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 'Brier