<VV> Capacitive Discharge

Guus de Haan corvair at corvair.nl
Sun Jun 25 12:18:46 EDT 2006

Op 25-jun-2006, om 17:24 heeft John H. Green het volgende geschreven:

> My neighbor, a retired NASA engineer, gave me an Archerkit
> Capacitive Discharge Ingition Kit. I think he purchased it for his
> 1970 Oldsmobile V8 in the 1970s but never installed it.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is this useful for my 1965 110 with Petronix? What would be the
> advantages?
>
> 2. If it would be useful, how would I install it? It did not come
> with directions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Green
> 1965 Monza 110/4

I once build me a capacitive discharge kit at school. Capacitive
discharge is used to trigger electronics which in turn switch the
coil on and of faster. This results in a better spark from the coil.
It's switching faster then points and with more power. There were
some advantages to capacitive but I've forgotten them. I seem to
remember it already put our something like 100V to the coils primary
circuit. Most electronic ignitions already use techniques to improve
switching time. Not sure what technique the Pertronix uses, but
combining them isn't a good thing if it's possible at all.

I would suggest keeping what you have. Maybe just play with the other
one. Just like most electronic systems it will have two wires for the
power supply (+/-), a trigger wire for input from the distributor (no
idea what this one uses, the points or something else) and a wire
which goes to the the coil.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guus de Haan