<VV> Teardown III .....Cleaning

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 25 16:16:32 EDT 2006

Hi Steven,

As I posted before, I've used Easy-Off oven cleaner to get the baked on gunk
off and a pressure washer.  Lacquer thinner to help remove baked on gaskets
and stuff like aviation permatex etc that some people use, IMO in error.  To
do a thorough job of cleaning I use a variety of methods and employ them
over and over on the same part.  It is a big job!!

I don't have a parts washer per se.  What I did was go down to the hardware
store and purchased a plastic concrete mixing trough.  It was cheap, under
$15.00 from what I remember.  It is about 3' by 5'.  I use a variety of
parts brushes.  Your standard parts brush with plastic bristles on a stick,
"pipe cleaner" plastic bristle brushes, toothbrush style plastic and metal
bristle brushes etc.

I sit down with a coffee can with lacquer thinner in it and scrub the parts
in the tub.  As I work, I replenish the lacquer thinner in the coffee can.
It is slow and tedious that is for sure.  I work on one part at a time.  By
keeping the thinner in a coffee can, it stays cleaner longer.  Each part is
then rinsed with clean thinner when done.  Do this outside due to the risk
of fire.

Depending on the part, I may start off with Easy-Off oven cleaner/pressure
wash and then move onto the Lacquer thinner cleaning method.  What's for
sure is that I have to do it over and over to get the part as clean I I
like.

 I've found that I get the best standard, straight bristle parts brushes at
NAPA autoparts.  The bristles are crimped in.  The other parts stores
brushes look the same but the bristles are glued in.  Those last about 5
minutes in the lacquer thinner before all the bristles fall out.

I am of the opinion that an air compressor is an essential shop tool.  I
survived without one for several years but once I got one I never looked
back.  Now I own two.  One is gas powered and the other is electric.  One of
my best investments.  You could get by without one by flushing all the
passage in the engine with pressure from a water hose.  Not the best in my
opinion but that's what I did before I had an air compressor.  Just have to
let it dry thoroughly before doing anything else.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!