R<VV> Corsa update - compression and temperature

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Jun 25 16:55:38 EDT 2006

As a rule I avoid boosted engines. That said at a steady high-rpm (over
3000 rpm) cruse in flatlands, almost as much power is dissipated (as heat)
turning the fan as moving the car. For a turbo, there are three things
working against you:
1) no vacuum advance. In a high vacuum cruise (over 10") you need more
advance to hit peak pressure at the "sweet spot". VW got away without
because they were always operating at low vaccuum . Retard means no
detonation but the lowered efficiency increases the heat produced.
2) exhaust pipe above the shrouds - heats the engine compartment.
3) fan load increases dramatically at high rpm increasing the total HP
required from the engine.

Also your gauge may be off. (why I have dual CHT gauges).

Padgett