<VV> Teardown III .....Cleaning

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 26 23:22:34 EDT 2006

Hi Michael,

Actually, I use Easy-Off Fume Free Max to be exact and it contains no lye.
It does however contain Monoethanolamine !!

It claims that it is a non-corrosive formula but the can still says not to
use on aluminum.....I looked up Monoethanolamine and it says that it can be
corrosive to steel and aluminum if combined with water.

I've used it and didn't notice  that it attack the aluminum.  I usually
leave it on for 15-20 minutes max so maybe that is why or maybe because I
used it straight out of the can on a dry block.

I'm assuming when you said "car cleaner" that was a typo and you meant "carb
cleaner".  If your talking about Chem-Dip, it is corrosive to aluminum too.

I don't know if your using automatic dishwasher detergent in the dishwasher
parts cleaner but it too is corrosive to aluminum, it contains Oxolic acid.

Hard to find something that works well on aluminum that isn't corrosive but
takes some of the back breaking labor out of it !!!!!

8-)

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!