<VV> Electric Choke Change Question

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 17:32:21 EDT 2006

I need some advise from someone who has successfully done this at least
once...I am rebuilding a Rochester 2-Jet carb for someone who is planning
to use it on an Induction center mount adapter they already have. I found a
nice core with an automatic choke, but need to convert it to electric. The
problem with this particular carb and choke is that it works "backwards"
from most others, so that simply replacing the cover with an electric one
has it going in the wrong direction. The easy fix would be to simply pop
the coil out of the electric housing and flip it over....if it would come
out :-). It appears to be a simple press fit, and I am looking for tips to
get the spring off the post. I can't heat it because the plastic housing
would melt, and my first attempt to pry it out looks like it will deform
the spring. Help!
     A back up plan might be to use the stock hot air pipe choke that was
on this carb, so if anyone has plumbed one in on a Corvair engine, that
would be nice to know. I am not doing the installation, so it needs to be
something a Corvair mechanic can handle :-).
Thanks,
The Carbmeister