<VV> Corvair Company

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 19:11:00 EDT 2006

I got the following excerpt in my email today, which goes on and lists all
the uses for WD-40, some of which, I'm not sure I would try.  Even though I
already new the history of WD-40, this was the first I had ever heard of the
Corvair Company.

Water Displacement #40.

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and
degreaser to protect missile parts.

WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket
Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a
"water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth
formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to
protect their atlas missile parts.

The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling
(also known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The
executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in
aerosol cans. The rest, as they say, is history.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member