<VV> RE: Some cars are cursed

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 30 15:28:39 EDT 2006

Yeah, the '65 resembles this.

Perfectly good car (running engine, practically rust free, just needing
some maintenance from being stored for six years) engine heads filled
with water and what looked like dirt by my piss-ant brother which froze
up the engine, rebuild #1 completed by a longtime Corvair owner that
lost a bearing and chewed up the crank after two hours of operation,
rebuild #2 has seen the lower head shrouds left off [my bad as I'm
doing it mostly by myself as another well respected club member [ who
wasn't present when I made that mistake] mentors (required taking it
down to the rod tubes, fortunately not installed at that time), and now
finding debris from the first meltdown in the oil on the pressure check
after putting it back together (again, thankfully not installed) and
having to tear it completely down again.  Christine??

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas
Corvairium //

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (Teardown III after an oil
pressure check determines that there is still debris from the first
meltdown present in the engine)
Sierra Tan, originally (currently Copper) - Saddle, zero rust, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, vertical bumper
guards, w/ 77K (and continuing to hold)
(Still in group red, light at the end of the tunnel that seemingly
keeps backing away as I attempt to get closer)   : I