<VV> Wretched Electrical Connector

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Mar 6 21:54:29 EST 2006

At 03:43 hours 03/06/2006, airvair wrote:
>Good Lord, John, how often do you take it apart? Once a week?? I don't
>mess with it but on rare occasions, and as I stated, have never had
>problems like you have. I still say that it's not a deficient design.
>Maybe the plastic material could have been more durable, but after
>40-odd years I can't complain.

I have to agree.   I have *installed* the HLPT on cars, such as the
'62 ragtop with the late model Vair wire harness adapted to the
engine bay so as to accommodate the alternator install etc.     I've
simply not had any trouble out of them.   There is one still in the
Corsa ragtop that loosened up and came out of the frame rail (after
30 years) but it never misbehaved electrically, wires remained tight
and I'd not have known there was a problem until I saw it hanging in
the air above the frame rail.   I simply stuck another (used) one in
its place, still working after ten more years.   No issues.

I fear not the HLPT.

All you need do is keep the connections away from battery
acid...   ;)  The easiest way to do this is use a modern battery that
doesn't spray electrolyte onto the engine and frame rails, leaving
all those little flakes and spots of removed paint alongside the battery.

Of course, a previously eaten-up by battery acid HLPT is gonna be a
problem.   Replace it with a new one NOT previously soaked in battery
acid and you'll have no issues.

tony..