<VV> oil pressure sender installation

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Tue Mar 21 09:17:59 EST 2006

And here are two more complicated options...

a) What I did in the '60s was to have a friend machine an available
square section length of brass such that it had tabs with holes at each
end to fit the two shroud bolts between the distributor and the r.h.
head fuel/air intake. One end face drilled for most of the part length
and was tapped for 1/8 NPT. An upper corner of the sectional view was
faced at 45 degrees and tapped holes for an electric SW sender and the
OEM pressure switch were added. A short piece of copper tubing went to
the original switch location. These parts were nickel plated. This
design worked fine and I had no failures enduring 120k miles of NH roads
and 300 laps of Briar Raceway. This is probably due to little
differential motion between the two ends of the tubing.

b) What I have now starts with a remote filter attachment (I think Crown
supplied it). This has two ports for the remote filter (in my case
filter and additional oil cooler) and a central port (sensing
post-filter pressure). This center port is connected via -6 Aeroquip
hose to a longer version of the manifold described above (milled by me
from aluminum and not plated) so that it can accommodate the OEM switch,
the SW remote pressure sensor, and another switch to shut off the
now-electric fuel pump if pressure fails. This manifold is mounted on
the remote oil filter near the left frame rail at the rear. I expect
the hose to handle the differential motion.

kirby