<VV> Parking at Buffalo convention

Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Tue Mar 21 18:34:36 EST 2006

Hello--

Well, I tried mightily to stay out of this one, but I can't help myself. I
think there are some things in this discussion which need to be said.

Yes, the convention host hotel room rates **are** expensive as are all
hotel rates. I don't know how to tell you this, but there are no more
$29.95 rooms left at Red Roof Inn anymore. One of the reasons for the high
rate is that the rate pays for the 'free' facilities the convention uses at
the hotel. The facilities used include the room the vendors use and the
parking lot the swappers are at, every group meeting room, every event
participant meeting, not to speak of the hospitality room and the parking
areas. None of the convention registration fees are spent on hotel meeting
rooms other than amenities like microphones and other A/V equipment.

The Buffalo convention uses a downtown location. This fact alone makes the
convention a lot more difficult to put on (items like: parking, parking,
space for concours, car display, parking, parking,...). As it turns out,
there really were no other choices of hotels if we were going to Buffalo.

I understand budgets as I have a daughter in college. Guys, there are
people with **money** and those without. Most all of us belong in the later
category. None of us are going to spend a month in the host hotel **or**
the Red Roof Inn even if it was $29.95 a night.

But those who do not stay at the host hotel for whatever reason, do not
contribute to the cost of those meeting rooms and other hotel facilities
used by the convention. Perhaps there should be an additional registration
fee for those who do not stay at the host hotel, but register for the
convention, to help guarantee things like parking and the like.

After the downturn in the travel industry following 9/11, hotel properties
came up with new and creative ways to limit their expenses. One tactic is
to add an attrition clause to the hotel contract. Basically that means that
if CORSA says we are going to use 300 rooms per night and we fall below a
percentage of that number, CORSA is liable for that room. We have been
fortunate so far as it only cost us about $2000 at one convention, but it
is a threat which could cost the convention **big** money someday,
especially if folks don't support the host hotel. There are a lot of
reasons why the attrition clause is bad for the hotels and for CORSA, but
that is a topic for another post.

Convention Chair Chuck Facklam wrote an article on alternate hotels for the
April Communique. I would encourage you to read it when you receive that
issue. The members of the 4 Clubs deserve credit and your thanks  for
putting together what is shaping up being a great convention.

Take care...

--H

CORSA responds to member input. Members say they want to have their
conventions in 'vacation' spots, we have the convention in the
Buffalo/Niagara area. Hotels with the convention facilities we need are
harder to find in vacation areas. Lower supply typically means higher prices.