<VV> Tired

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Mar 25 19:12:41 EST 2006

I have a problem with Harbor Freight in that just about everything in the
store is made in China. Still I get their flyers and usually there is
something really oddball that is hard to resist like 18" needle nose
pliers, everybody oughta have one.

At the same time I hate the bother of taking tires to be changed. Have had
some 215x65x15s that seemed good for the rear of the Monza to bring the
3.55 revs down a bit but they are on 115x5 GM FWD wheels and not any of my
Snowflakes.

The latest caught my eye - a portable tire changer on sale for $34.99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34542
Could not resist.

When picked up the box seemed rather small and most of the reviews I found
showed it being used for motorcycle tires so was not sure. Assembly showed
it to be "compact" which goes along with the portability but had no problem
with a 15x8" wheel and removal of the 215s from the 15x6 Buick wheels was
even pretty easy - sprayed the rim edge with vinyl protectorant (was at
hand and is real slippery) was not at all difficult to break the bead (one
of the benefits of living in central Florida) on both sides and remove the
tire.

Before starting I had made one addition - used three lengths of 2x4 to make
legs on the channels. This was actually the hardest part as the U-channels
were 1/2" narrower than the 2x4 so some creative sawing was required.
http://padgett.ws/files/tirechanger.jpg

The assembly is light and did want to turn when removing the tire but by
standing on the leg I was able to remove the tire without much difficulty
and the unit would be easy to take to an Autocross by just removing the lag
bolts (3/8x1.5")

For $35 bucks it seems a deal compared to $10 for a station to change a
tire . Anyone else ever used one ?

Padgett