<VV> ANFSCD: Valve Springs ?

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Mar 26 20:30:08 EST 2006

Some time ago someone whose judgement I trust said I had weak valve
springs. This did not make sense since it would wind to the shift point
(PG) without any difficulty but now am wondering.

Had a rocker tapping so pulled the valve cover to adjust. Let engine warm
up then replaced the regular valve cover with a 1/3 cover to avoid oil drips.

Turned out the one that was tapping was a touch loose and stopped after 1/4
turn but another 1/4 turn and the engine slowed down. Backed off to clack
and engine sped back up and then 1/4 fine, 1/2 engine slowed down again.
Wound up leaving at 1/4 turn from clack and all is quiet.

Looked at the exposed threads and all six seemed about the same, about
three threads exposed. Springs & rockers all looked the same. Is what
appears to be a stock 110 with about 75,000 miles.

Plan is to replace with a 95hp regular gas engine but wonder what was
causing this. Valves had been adjusted to 1/4 turn from clack less than
1,000 miles ago.

Padgett