<VV> RE: Disk brakes

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:46:16 EST 2006

Seth also asked:
Ed - Did you use the Celebrity calipers? Are you running stock rear drums?
How was the end product, as far as braking force? Did you have any problems
bleeding the calipers? Which master cylinder did you use?
Us inquiring minds want to know. - Seth

I hesitate to judge much about how well the brakes operate as this install
was done on a '34 Ford streetrod.
Right now the car has a '56 Chevy rear with the '56 11" brakes.
I didn't have any problem bleeding the brakes even though the master is
under the floor on the '34. There shouldn't be any problem on a Corvair. We
did replace the 10lb residual valve with a 2lb for the disk brakes. These
are more important on a car with a floor mounted master.
The car already had a '67 Mustang master for disk brakes. If I were doing
the swap on a Corvair I would have used a master from a '68-'69 Camaro with
disk brakes. It bolts up the same as a '67-'69 Corvair master. I believe it
is the same casting with a 1 1/8th bore.

I have not driven the car as the friend finished the job after I went home.
He lives about 60 miles away and I have not gotten back to do a test drive.

              Ed