<VV> Trailer safety ( long )

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 02:07:58 EDT 2006

I have used my trailer several times this year. Each time I go
through the standard
safety checks. I check the tires inflation, make sure the spare is
checked as well,
make sure the ramps are there and secure since the trailer is parked
in the lot at Ted's
shop. After I hook it up to the trailer hitch and plug in the
electrical connection, I test all
the lights and then do a brake test by testing the emergency bar on
the brake control module
to see if the trailer brakes grab hard and quickly. Last week I used
the trailer to transport Darth
Vair to our Springfest show in Helen Georgia. This trip involves some
hilly and curvy two lane
roads as well as some mountain roads. We had rain and when I returned
home I cleaned the
trailer and washed the wheels and tires.
        I was cleaning one of the rims when I brushed against one of
the valve stems and heard
a loud hiss. I checked again and found the valve stem was so rotted
that I could break it off with
my hand. I then checked the other four stems and two of them were in
the same condition.
I was amazed that after only three years these stems were in this
condition. I thought of what
could have happened in the mountains or on the Interstate on the way home.
       I removed each wheel from it's hub and the spare from it's
mount and inspected all five tires.
I found a large nail in one tread and found all valve stems to be
rotten. The nail was somewhat expected
as Ted had used the trailer two weeks earlier and added air to all
the road wheels. When I checked all
the tires I had found one about 7 lbs pressure lower than the other
three so the nail had been the culprit
but was not easily seen.
       The tires are six ply trailer tires manufactured in China (
where else ? ;-)) and I assume they were ordered
assembled with the rims. So when you are getting things in order for
towing your trailer, think of my experience and make
sure to check your trailer tires and valve stems and replace them if
needed. I sure am glad I checked. It's a long
trip from Atlanta to Mosport and Buffalo and rotten valve stems could
have caused some very unpleasant situations.
It cost me a couple of hours and $30 to have all five stems replaced
and the tire with the nail repaired.

Chuck Armer

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman