<VV> Turbo carb update

Norman Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Tue May 2 08:00:13 EDT 2006

Thanks to all who emailed me regarding my carb issues.  I think things are
pretty much resolved, and as usual, my injuries were pretty much
self-inflicted.

Sunday my buddy Jeff who helped me with the engine project in the red Corsa
(Legends of the Engine Compartment) stopped by and we started fiddling with
the motor.  We pulled the crossover, turbo and carb and found two problems.
The first was that the gasket between the turbo base and inlet pipe was
pretty much shot.  From what I see now, these appear to be pretty much a
one-shot type of deal, since I had only driven the car about 500 miles
before I pulled the turbo.  The rubbery stuff sandwiched in the middle of
the gasket was crumbling.  I had a new gasket and we put that one in.

The second problem is that I had forgotten to tighten the crossover bolts on
the left side all the way.  Doh! So we got that all tightened up and the car
now runs surprisingly well.  We took her out for a spin and of course, it
started to rain...supposed to rain all week.  Well, at least now I am
excited to get going on the other projects that need to be done on the car.

Norm Witte