Fwd: <VV>Clutchless shifting/ 65 clutch cable

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue May 2 10:57:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/1/2006 8:30:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

> Shifting without a clutch is something you just have to learn. To shift
> from any gear to neutral, let mostly off the gas so the car is neither
> accellerating nor decelerating and pull back to neutral. To shift up, take
> your foot off the gas and let the engine slow. At the right speed it will
> just slip into gear. Once all the way in, accellerate. The learning process
> will be noisy.

The starter is suprisingly robust and Padgett's advice for shifting
clutchless works well--with practive you can do it with only the wirring/binding noise
of the synchros working really hard.  I had a clutch cable break on the Czech
border with Germany on a Saturday and had to be back in Mannheim the next day.
 The starter and car got me home fine, but I got really good at planning for
stop signs and red lights--there weren't any east west Autobahns on my route
at that time so it was all secondary roads.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair