<VV> shift rod adjustment woes

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Tue May 2 20:11:42 EDT 2006

Recall the following:
1.  The rod at the bottom of the transmission is the shift selector rod.
2. It has three positions in fore and aft direction. All the way in, middle
(Neutral) and all the way out.
3. The shift selector rod position is opposite that of the in-the-car shift
lever/knob.  When the shift lever/knob is all the way forward to the right
(third gear), underneath the car, the other end is all the ay back.
Therefore the shift tube and coupler and the shift selector rod is all the
way back or in.
4.  If you move the shift selector rod half way out you will be in neutral.
You can check this by seeing if the wheels will turn without the engine
turning.
5.  The reverse lockout inside the transmission is a spring loaded lever .
When you move the in-car shift lever from neutral to the left, you feel the
spring and then you move the lever forward to select reverse. Likewise,
under the car, the lever-shift rod, coupler and shift selector rod that goes
in the transmission twists to right (CW viewed from in front looking back at
transmission).  You can do this with a screwdriver stuck in the shift
selector rod hole. You can feel the spring detent and while holding the rod
turned against the spring, you can push the shift sector rod into the
transmission. You can check by seeing if wheels turn in reverse when turning
the engine the way it normally runs/turns.
6. I don't know how to tell you to adjust it other than follow the manual
for position. Play with it until it engages all gears including reverse. The
assy manual lists some specific distances for the position of the shift
lever knob with respect to the seat, but if you can engage all  gears and
are happy with where the shift knob is between the dash and seat in all
positions, that is good.

Good Luck

Chuck S