<VV> shift rod adjustment woes

monza63mo at peoplepc.com monza63mo at peoplepc.com
Tue May 2 19:21:20 EDT 2006

I'm swap engines between 2 cars and I've got the 140 in the car with the 4-speed.  I replaced the shift rod coupler during this process and now I can't get reverse.  All forward gears are working fine.  When I looked in the shop manual for the adjustment procedure, it says "with the transmission in reverse..."  I'm fairly sure the trans was in neutral when I removed it.

How can I put the trans in reverse to make the adjustment?

Any other shift rod adjustment tips will be greatly appreciated!