<VV> Hard Starting Warm

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed May 3 08:48:24 EDT 2006

>I also have a 63 Spyder that exhibits the same problem. Starts easily when
>cold and when engine warms, pedal has to be to the floor and at times I am
>fearful that I canot get it started.

That sure sounds like a choke that is closing too soon or not opening at
all. Only had a turbo briefly years ago but is same mechanism that AFBs use.

The YH choke is a rotary bimetallic spring element behind a bakelite cover
- you cannot see its position as on a Rochester. Possible problems
- frozen linkage
- broken spring
- spring not hooking the choke coil tang
- maladjusted choke unloader
- blocked air tube

Someone knowledgeable can usually tell by the spring tension on the cover
whether it is adjusted properly.

My first step would be to loosen the three screws holding the cover, rotate
the cover 15  or 20 degrees in the lean direction (should be marked on the
cover) and see if anything changes. If when loosened on a cold engine you
do not feel any spring tension, it is going to have to come apart.

Padgett

ps is page 6M-15 in the 65 FSM, do not have any early manuals but the LM
illustrations are not very good