<VV> Broken clutch cables (NO CORVAIR)

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Wed May 3 11:08:57 EDT 2006

You should have seen the mess the local Chevy dealer made with my '93
Firebird Formula a few years ago when they managed to launch it in the
service bay.  They put one guy in the hospital, and trashed the fascia,
hood, power headlight assembly, driver's door (scraping it down the hoist
post) and fender on my car as well as the workbench.  The guy who did this
was working on the driver's window and insisted that he did not have the
clutch in when the car started.  As proof he said that the door slammed on
his left leg, which was outside of the car, as the car went through the
uprights. (TOUCHDOWN!)  As the door cleared the hoist post, it shot back
open and hit a work cart, which in turn flew into the next day where it
slammed into another tech.

And all this with a car that actually has the interlock that is supposed to
keep stupid people from starting the car in gear.  They said that they
checked after the accident and the interlock was working as advertised.  I
guess it doesn't stop people from starting the car and popping the clutch,
though.  My theory is that the guy had his RIGHT foot on the clutch when the
car started.

Norm Witte

SNIP

As a matter of fact, I had a DEALER'S service dept tech smash the front end
of my brand new VW bus back in '72 into the shop workbench because it was in

gear and he 'forgot'.