<VV> LM carbs

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed May 3 20:52:06 EDT 2006

At 01:00 hours 05/03/2006, Chuck Kubin wrote:
> >From all that's been said, I'm getting that you take the AIR carb,
> plaster over the screw, and run it just like any other carb.  If
> I'm correct in assuming the experts are correct, this simple step
> should save all of us scads of $$$ converting engines that only
> need the simple fix.
>   Thanks to those who advocate this simple solution.

For sake of mention:

That screw was NOT added to improve the running of the vehicle.  It
was added to make the engine produce fewer emissions in an attempt to
meet CA smog.   Such tech in 1968 was sorely lacking in capability to
produce less smog while also not adversely influencing the idle and
off-idle engine performance.

In order to get a better idle mixture and less hesitation at off-idle
throttle settings, I plugged that damned air bleed screw BECAUSE in
that instance (and a couple others) it helped eliminate the issues
with the transition slots vs air bleeds which could not be corrected
by turning the screw because it was stuck and shed metal rather than turn.

They may have been set "correctly" at the factory but things change
with time.  The fact remained that the carbs in question misbehaved
and a kit didn't help.    I chose to plug the bleed on the errant
carbs in order to correct an issue and it WORKED for
me.    Now:    That's ME.   Others may or may not experience success
and I do not advocate anyone else doing the "stupid" things I do on
occasion simply because they work for me; they might not work for you
so caveat emptor.

...there is almost never anything like a "simple solution" to any
problem, as discussion has outlined on this topic.

I do not claim to be an expert on ANY issue likely to be discussed in
here, so anybody who would use my commentary as a lever for tilting
any credible conclusions their way should consider the source.

Perhaps I should configure a sig line with a
disclaimer.    ;)     "Do not listen to me"

tony..