<VV> Self pity and whining

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Thu May 4 10:06:36 EDT 2006

Thanks, John.  Pleas see responses below.

> You think?  Ya'know guys, maybe it's just me or where I live (northwest
> Ohio), but in 40 or so years of dicking with cars.....I've seen an actual
> "vapor-lock" twice.....both of them in sustained 90+ degree heat!  Anybody
> had much sustained 90+ degree heat lately?  I'll buy a fuel delivery
> problem......but think that Mr. Witte had been around the park enough
> times
> to deal with something like vapor-lock without venting on this list!  Time
> to do a little "outside the box" thinking.

John, I appreciate you rising to my defense, but candidly, I've never dealt
with vapor lock before and I am no expert by any stretch; I've made more
than my share of bonehead moves.  One fact I am concerned with is that the
motor seems to be running on the hot side; about 425.  I'm wondering whether
engine compartment temps can be more of a factor than ambient air when it
comes to vapor lock.

SNIP

  Car starts, will run at idle semi half-assed,
> but sputters to a stop when you attempt to apply power.....sound like you
> Norm?

Well, not exactly.  It runs great all the time EXCEPT when I am having this
problem.

Out blew a
> wad of crud 3 inches long.......a big wad of spider-web impregnated with
> eviscerated Asian Lady-Bug shells!  In the years the car was sitting
> getting
> worked on.....including more than 2 years with the fuel tank out, that
> fuel
> line became a popular nesting site for the inevitable insects that
> out-buildings tend to accumulate.

I agree that this could be the problem.  However, it doesn't seem to square
the predictable timing of the issue.

SNIP

> If all you can deal with are "conventional" problems....stick to less than
> 10 year old Toyotas.  Unique cars breed "unique" problems that often
> require
> some "unconventional" logic to solve.

Yeah, I know, the whining was unbecoming.

If an engine has fuel, air, and
> spark
> at the right time.....it HAS to run, period!  If it doesn't, one of those
> conditions specified doesn't exist, and the nature of our hobby, as my
> examples clearly show, can require some logic as unique as our cars.  It's
> just that simple!

Exactly what I said to my 15 yr old son last night as we waited for his
mother to come pick us up....

Norm