<VV> 140 hitching/missing HELP

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu May 4 15:22:23 EDT 2006

Your timing is grossly off, Ron.  My three 140s run with 14 or more degrees
initial.
1) You have fresh premium fuel in it, right?
2) Your idle settings might be way off.  Set the idle mix to 1 1/2 turns out
(3 if AIR carbs). Advance the timing and keep adjusting the idle speed back
down to 900 or so. Keep advance the timing and shutting down the idle speed
until you get to 12-14 degrees at 900 or so RPM.  Then try driving.
3) Are both sides of the engine running?  Check exhaust temp at idle and
steady 2000 rpm. (Parked, obviously) You could have an abnormally float level
that's leaning out one side (or both if they're done incorrectly)

Let us know.
Craig
I jinxed myself. Car was running ok. I adjusted the timing, clamp was loose
and moved. Under light throttle the 140 gets a sort of jerk or hitch or skip
deal going on. It will also do it while coasting. Seems to idle fine. If I
keep the timing at about 0 it's ok, although it will spark knock a little
starting off. . It spark knocks like mad if the timing is at about 8
degrees. The warmer it gets the worse it is. I'm about to swap out the
Pertronix to see if that is overheating or going bad. Any other ideas?????

It's a 140, 4speed. JUST rebuilt. Was doing this prior to rebuild. I don't
want to ruin my engine....

Any thoughts appreciated.

HELP!

--