<VV> Vapor Lock

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Fri May 5 16:37:29 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:  I know this will come as a total shock to many on the list, but I am not an electric pump advocate.  Sometimes with reality staring us in the eye we have to make compromises.  Mine would be an electric at the tank with a push button to blow the gasious bubble out of the line.
  Something for a lot of you to consider when talking on this subject.  Vapor lock does not occur in a Corvair when the engine is running.  Too much nice cool air whistling down over the pump and lines for that.  Vapor lock occurs after heat soak and when the engine is started the air doesn't have time to cool the components before the bubble gets to the pump.  I consider that to be truth, and therefore see no way that the recirculating return line is going to prevent vapor lock as fuel is only flowing through it when the pump is pumping.

Been reading some of the vapor lock thread. I had my 140 Corsa vaporlock on
me yesterday evening. Car had sat 1/2 to 1 hour. Got down the road and it
died. Cranked and cranked. Nothing. Pulled the air cleaner off, sure enough,
no fuel. Waited a bit for things to cool off. Fired up after a bit of
cranking.

I really don't want to do the electric pump, although I do see some
benifits. For one, probably a bit more simpler than running a return line.

If running a return line, would you tee in at the fuel pump on the 140 or
get an inline filter with a return line on it? Where is a good place for the
filter, before or after the pump? What would be the best way to do this?

Pros and cons of both ways?

And this is with MTBE fuel.

It's only happened once so far.